Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Finished first 30 days!! What now? : )

Hi!

I just finished my first 30 day challenge! I actually did it at home with 2 radiant heaters and a humidifier listening to Bikram’s cd. I got the room to 95-96F and was really able to sweat!

I had foot surgery last August, and was in a wheelchair for 2 months, then a walker, and knew the only thing that would help my balance and strength was Bikram (I had practiced before in NY and here in NC). Reason for the makeshift studio is bc due to the surgery I was laid off, so no $ to go to the studio, especially not every day.I was able to do the 30 days in 31, had one day that too many things were going on so missed but still feel very proud of myself.

It was hard to go upstairs and make myself do it everyday, there were days I could barely move in the beginning with a lot of low back pain. I fell off all the time during the 1 leg standing postures, especially when standing on the operated leg. Toward the end still can’t do a Toe Stand, but can hold myself on each leg and raise the “up” leg with a strap, and sometimes able to extend it. Bow got much better, able to kick back on both feet, with Right still better. Doing actually pretty well with Balancing Stick, a little wobbly but can usually pull it off with both legs! Tree is ok - fall off a few time, and actually (going back to the beginning, eagle is almost all done without falling, although my leg does not go all the way around, mostly bc I am “chunky” and twisting my arms tough bc I’m also busty. Hopefully with a consistent practice all this will normalize. (I am also doing weight watchers, but have not really seen weight loss in the last 30 days, but can see body changes. Trying not to obsess about the scale.

Floor poses are much better, not going super high in Cobra/Full Locus and Bow, but much better than in the beginning.

My foot hurts in Fixed Firm and Camel, so some days I can do them some I can’t - bending my operated foot backward is hard, was actually told by the MD that I would never be able to bend my foot back… Ha Ha I’m doing it!!! : )

So now that it’s over, I am taking a few days off and hope to start again,but maybe thinking about it as 10 day challenges,but working toward either another 30 or 60. My question is - should I take days off in between or no? I feel more flexible, but not super strong as I read a few people did - 

Another question - is it common to have days where you do really well and feel confident only to have a horrible day the next day? My day 27 was exhausting, my foot was hurting and although I stayed in the room for the 90 minutes I stopped at cobra. I felt terrible, but just had no energy and was in a lot of pain.

Sorry so long but wanted to share my success and ask a few questions regarding where to go from here!!!

Namaste!
Claudia


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment