Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Breathing "cadence" and sun salutation - is my teacher leading this properly?

Hello all,

This is my first post so please go easy on me I have practiced a number of Hatha "brands" but have never been a particularly astute observer of which particular name / subtlety I'm practicing at a given time.

For fitness purposes, I sometimes practice with videos that are more "flow-oriented" or energetic in their progression from pose to pose.

I am now in a class that is led by a Massage Therapist and she appears to have a background with some formal training. She leads the practice during the work day (2pm) in an office building and all participants are changing out of, and then back into, their work clothes. As such, the pace is easy I believe her intent is to keep us from sweating too much.

For almost all movements, including all parts of the classic sun salutation (Chaturanga Dandasana replaced with Child's Pose), she tells us to move with the exhalation... First for me. However, she progresses from pose to pose fast enough for me to have to rush my breathe in order to exhale for each transition.

She asked for feedback at one point in the class and I told her I was used to breathing in for some movements and out for others. For example, transition into upward dog has always been an inhale move in my experience. I mentioned that it felt like I had to rush my rate of breathing to catch up with her cadence.

She responded every movement should be done on the exhalation. She stated something along the lines of, "Every teacher has their own way of teaching, and this is mine." I notice that she does have SOME movements occur on inhale (e.g., forward bend to mountain pose). These are ones I am used to.

1) I like this lady and value the practice she leads. I'd like to deliver informed feedback, especially if she has an incorrect understanding. Is she doing anything wrong, from a teacher perspective?

2) Should I breathe as I am used to or follow her instruction as she would have me do, breathing out when she says to / rushing my breath to get there.

Thanks for your comments and help!
Ethan

__________________
--
EVB

"Down dog! I said down! .. Good boy!"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment