Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Teaching yoga at the gym vs yoga studio

Hi , I just quit my full time job and choose my path as a full time yoga teacher . There is a lot more to learn especially when you are a teacher . I am currently teaching at the gym ( only for yoga ) and studio which is own by some other teacher.

My teaching is always based on more alignment and technique rather than just posing in front of the students . I also do a lot of adjustment and touching the students . I am doing this to both the gym and the studio. This is what my style is I think.

I got a comment from the gym management today that the student gave negative comment on my teaching . They think i am different than other teacher ( I don't know how and what exactly they mean ) . The comment were : I make them hold too long ( 5 breaths ) , I don't do it together ( I will do the right side and they will do the left side on their own , giving more time for me to do adjustment ) , they can't catch up , my sun salutation is different from others ( I did the a and b and I didn't change anything at all ) .

Not that I can't take comments . I want to teach because teaching is my passion and put in lots of effort in reading up, practicing with different teacher , discussion in forums and find answer. So my question is : should I adjust my way of teaching at the gym or should I just be who I am . Well, maybe they ate right tho.

However, the students from the studio is different . They keep coming back to my class and the owner has to keep me coz they students asked for it.

Is my first month of teaching full time and I really want to teach till a day that I can't move anymore . I find happiness in teaching and I love to share and inspire others

Cass


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment